3.9.07

- PRIDE: We are not underachievers!

  • Talking about removing the word “underachiever”

Student 1

I don’t like this title …this word "underachiever"

Student 2

You sound upset with this word. What is going on?

Student 1

I don't see myself as an 'underachiever'. In Canada, we can have another meaning for this word. I don't want people to think I don't try my best. I'm an excellent mother and now my children have grown up, I am here finishing high school. I have worked hard to perform as well as I can.

Student 2

I get the idea of using the word "underachiever" from a Simpsons cartoon, the idea of being clever. What I am saying is that people rebel against the system.

Student 1

Let me finish please... I worked hard to fulfill the expectations of my family boss and teachers. I like that the school has high expectations of me, it shows they think I can do better.

Student 2

I see. The word 'Underachiever' would group us with people who don't try hard enough as family members, friends, employees, students. You told me I am having English difficulties, let us look up the word in the dictionary.

Student 1

Yes…let us look up. I am not underachiever. When I do things I do well because I try hard…um…Well, I know what you mean but it is too hard to accept that I was excluded because of the way I learn (right brain). I prefer to believe I was just too busy rising my kids. Now I am coming back and I will be ok.

Student 2(opening the dictionary)

I will see the etymology of the word later but I think I get your point, let me read the word in here

Underachiever: somebody who under performs: somebody who or something that performs less well than might be expected, especially a student whose academic results are poor, given his or her intelligence and aptitude.

Underachiever: A student who does not perform as well as the IQ indicates.


No comments: