3.9.07

- KNOWLEDGE: I refuse to learn how to cheat!

Learning how to make educated guesses on multiple choice questions, a student felt she was being told how to cheat


Student 1

So according to the rule of ABSOLUTE QUALIFIERS [1] when the question has the word NEVER, I am supposed to mark it as FALSE...If I say I never lie, I am a liar!? It is bullshit. I refuse to learn this! I don’t want to learn how to cheat on tests!...I strongly disagree about teaching and learning rules to make educated guesses on tests....a "cheating" strategy to be successful? I don’t want my kid to have a doctor who had used the “cheating” strategy to be successful…I don’t want to be smart this way; I am a person of principles


Later in a feedback interview:

Student 2
You seemed really upset about "ABSOLUTE QUALIFIERS" today. I would like to understand more your view

Student 1
It is cheating...I am not going to guess on a test. Either I know or I don't. I am divorcing and on court I am full of people saying that I am lying when I say that I have never done this or that. They don't know me...I don't lie.



[1] Test taking strategy:

" Watch for absolute qualifiers, such as non, best, always, every, constantly…Few things are ever absolute, so when absolute words appear in an answer choice, the answer is most of the time untrue…If you don't know the answer, mark it as a False"




TO RETURN to Introduction
to the Main Page
Dialogues&Stories (Life, School, Classroom)

No comments: