3.9.07

- FUTURE: Using good culture shock class experience


  • Canadian accent and riots


Student 1
I am working on telephone assistance. I got an apartment for me and I am making $10/hour!” I wanted to meet you 'cause I learned I have an accent too
. Can you believe? Strange, eh? For a while I felt your accent so irritating, I avoided talking to you, remember?

Student 2

No problem, we had to do group work so I kept talking to you

Student 1

And I kept saying “shut up, chink” (laugh).

Student 2

You taught me to call you back trash white (laugh)… You like to play the bad girl. But deep inside you are sweet... explaining yourself with that soap opera: your childhood, your only white neighborhood and a Chinese restaurant, people calling the owners “chinks” and you, a little girl, saving the Chinese little boy by walking beside him…Well, how did you learn you have an accent?

Student 1

I am working at a Telecom and this USA woman recognized I am Canadian when I call her! I was amazed! It was like Eh?... Hey, I have an accent!

No comments: